Ever since I’ve been riding, every time I heard the Leaderboard name SUBMARINER, I thought it was a dude who wears the Rolex my husband wants…did you think think the same thing??? LETS FIND OUT IF I WAS RIGHT!
Meet Rich Essenmacher aka SUBMARINER
Leaderboard Get To Know You
First and foremost explain the genesis of your leaderboard name…
“Submariner” comes from my 20+year Navy Submarine career. The camaraderie of the submarine is unmatched in civilian life- but some of the things the JSS Tribe does are similar, and that is why I am part of it.
My military career is still such a large part of who I am- there was no other name I even thought of.
Name: Rich Essenmacher
Where do You live? Norfolk, VA
Married/Single? Married to my lovely bride Jai
Kids/Grandkids? 6 kids ages 12 to 32. No grandkids
Pets? One Cat, “Mittens” (see picture- he loves my wife’s yarn)
Working/Retired? Retired from the US Navy in 2001. Currently part of Quality Department for a large defense contractor.
Motto in which you live by? Stop whining. I also hate “whoa be me” attitudes.
- How long have you had your bike – 20 months.
- Where in your home do you ride – Exercise room
- What is your favorite Color – Blue
- What is your favorite food – Lasagna
- What is your favorite TV Show – Sports
- Have you ever ridden in studio – No, I had a trip and ride scheduled and JSS ended up not teaching that Sunday so I canceled.
- Who would you like to ride with – The entire JSS tribe.
- Guilty Pleasure – Pie
- Favorite Curse word – Fuck
- Favorite musician – Any 80’s rock band. First concert was Journey (like JSS) and ELO.
- Morning or night – morning
- Last Book You Read – A Gentlemen in Moscow by Amor Towles.
- Who’s the Last Person who texted you – my wife
- Favorite App – ESPN
- Favorite Sport – Football
- Favorite Sports Team – Detroit Lions (I grew up in Detroit)
- Fave Alcoholic Beverage – Red wine
- What Color is your toothbrush – blue
- Do you have a favorite cartoon character – Marvin the Martian or Tigger
- Coffee or tea – both
- What time do you go to bed – 9pm
- Fave Reality TV show – don’t watch them- who could?
- What is something we’d be surprised to know about you? The hardcore outer shell actually has a soft inside very few people see. Kind of like M & M’s.
- Dinner guest – Jerry Seinfeld, it would be just a riot.
Anything else you’d like to share? Living on the Lafayette River in Norfolk produces some beautiful sunsets. A picture is attached.
I taught spin for 10+ years. After moving to Norfolk I stopped spinning all together for 2 years. I missed the workouts so I finally gave in a bought a bike. My first ride was with JSS. I almost exclusively ride with her because her music and teaching style are exactly how I taught spin for all those years. Well, maybe not the country music…….
I would love to teach a class in studio someday. Wish that were possible.
NFL players need to stand the f— up for the anthem. I served and many have died for freedom of speech- on your own time, not while we are paying your salary. Was that too strong? ………. Too bad.