Leaderboard Get To Know You
First and foremost explain the genesis of your leaderboard name…
MyKindOfFun. I have been in love with exercise since I was 8 years old. My big sister (we’re 13 years apart) was watching me for a weekend, wanted to go to the gym and it was LONG before gyms had childcare. I played on Nautilus machines heeding her instructions to “get off if an adult comes and wants to use it”. It was love at first hamstring curl and aerobics class. However, my first LB name was 3ocgirls, which is my Instagram name, which is for me and my two girls living the good life in Orange County, CA. I switched it because I felt I needed something different for me and this bike.
Name: Julia Young (most people call me Juli or Jules, but my brother calls me Gu – long story)
Where do You live? Rancho Santa Margarita, CA. Our claim to fame is being the home of The Real Housewives of Orange County.
Married/Single? Married for 17 years this December to Greg, who rides MY bike, but only the Scenic or Just Ride Rides. Wish he would just try a spin class…
Kids/Grandkids? 2 daughters (Jada – 13, Addison -11) and one son, Eric (23!), who I’ve raised since he was 4. He was a bonus with Greg. J
Pets? Our dog, Lexi. She’s the first dog I’ve ever owned and hasn’t a clue how to sit right even at the old age of 9 years old.
Jada owns a bearded dragon, Sunny (Picture is from her 1st bday last year)
Working/Retired? I’m a stay-at-home mom, but I’ve done freelance PR/Marketing work for the last 13 years for a small, local PR agency.
Motto in which you live by? It’s a toss up between “Everything happens for a reason” and “Life is not a dress rehearsal”
- How long have you had your bike – I’m a newbie compared to most of the vocal JSS tribe folks. I got my bike on Jan. 8, 2018. It was like Christmas all over again when the delivery guys arrived. I may have excitedly jumped up and down when they arrived and starting setting it up.
- Where in your home do you ride – The garage. We’ve slowly been turning it into a gym.
- What is your favorite Color – Blue
- What is your favorite food – Oh, that’s a hard of a question. My husband says I get way too excited about food – from buying it at our farmers market, to cooking/baking, to eating it. I love a good steak w/ béarnaise sauce, burrata cheese with anything, dark chocolate, perfectly roasted brussel sprouts…Do you see the problem???
- What is your favorite TV Show – This is Us, but Jada and I may have binge watched both seasons of Queer Eye in record time.
- Have you ever ridden in studio – No, but I have high hopes of getting there next year for HRI.
- Who would you like to ride with – JSS (of course!), Ally, Robin and Denis too.
- Guilty Pleasure – Nothing really came to mind here…clearly I don’t feel any guilt about finding pleasure! 😉
- Favorite Curse word – Probably shit. Fuck if I’m really mad or excited.
- Favorite musician –Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks. My license plate says GLDST WM (for Gold Dust Woman).
- Morning or night – Morning with a cup o’ joe in hand.
- Last Book You Read – Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson. Currently reading Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter. I’m due to dive into a good beach read.
- Who’s the Last Person who texted you – Handyman who is going to help us install a new bathroom vanity in girls’ bathroom. We just moved to a new house a year ago…time to start making it ours.
- Favorite App – Top 3: Peloton, of course! I’m using the Strength and Stretch portions a ton to cross train. Calm meditation app. Love my daily meditation. I’m a lunatic without it. Last one is Instagram, but I’m trying to tone down the social media. Not working very well.
- Favorite Sport – College Baseball
- Favorite Sports Team – Cal State Fullerton, Titans (baseball team). My husband buys into the 3rd base box, which is right next to the Titan dugout. We attend most home games – it’s pretty much where you can find Greg, the girls and yours truly on the weekends between February and June.
- Fave Alcoholic Beverage – Margarita!
- What Color is your toothbrush – White with a green button
- Do you have a favorite cartoon character –Calvin & Hobbs!
- Coffee or tea – Coffee. I want to like tea, but I can’t make a decent cup to save my life. A total embarrassment to my British heritage. My mom actually came to this country from England on the Queen Mary in 1949. Clearly my ancestry doesn’t run deep.
- What time do you go to bed – About 10pm
- Fave Reality TV show – None. Haven’t seen a good reality show since the first couple seasons of “The Real World” on MTV, or the first seasons of “The Bachelor”.
- What is something we’d be surprised to know about you? I took my first spin class in 1997 when they didn’t keep seats on the bike, so you had to ride out of the saddle the whole time. Almost puked after that class. Fell in love with spinning, and became an instructor. I taught for a few years, with some breaks when I was pregnant. In the last couple years, I couldn’t find a spin class/studio I liked around home. Too many classes taught where you just kept doing push ups off the handle bars and tap backs. Made me nuts! That’s why I bought the Peloton.
- Who would you like to have as a Dinner guest – Barbra Streisand, Michelle Obama or Oprah
- F Marry Kill… Oliver Lee – could listen to his accent all day long (M), Denis (F), Cody (K)
Anything else you’d like to share?
I wrote 50 different things for this question and all of them felt like TMI or over-sharing. Guess that’s a sign to be done. LOL.