Leaderboard Get To Know You
First and foremost explain what is your leaderboard name and what is its genesis
#Feffer…Before I got the bike, I wanted people who knew me in real life to be able to find me on the LB. Now, I only care about connecting with Pelo-friends and wish I had chosen something creative.
Name: Miriam Feffer
Where do You live? Washington, DC
Married/Single? Married. My husband started a job in New York in February, so he stays there during the week, which means I’m effectively a single parent Monday-Friday. I got the Peloton to ensure that I could get some exercise and maintain a tenuous hold on my sanity.
Kids/Grandkids I have one energetic, outspoken third-grader, Abby. She likes to ride, so I just made her a separate account to stop her from juking my stats. She’s oddly tall and athletic. (I am neither.)
We currently have 2 robot fish, Fin and Drifter. Two summers ago, we rented chickens for a month. It was the perfect experiment in pet care, with minimal commitment and wonderful fresh eggs. I’m sure Click and Cluck, the Pullet Sisters, are now comfortably ensconced in another family’s yard/stock pot.
Working/Retired? I’m Vice President for Development at HIAS, the global Jewish refugee agency, where I oversee an incredibly dedicated team of advancement professionals. My dad was a refugee from Hitler’s Europe, so this shit is deeply personal. As you may have heard, we were the organization named by the Pittsburgh shooter as the cause of his rage. It’s been an overwhelming few months, to say the least, but my bike – and this community – have been a source of strength and comfort.
On a lighter note, I began my career as an anthropologist, studying the ways young people talk about their bodies in a summer camp context. I believe I remain unchallenged as the academic authority on the practice of naming the penis!
Do you have a motto in which you live by? You look hungry. Eat something.
- How long have you had your bike – 9 months
- Where in your home do you ride – basement
- What is your favorite Color – blue (cobalt, specifically)
- What is your favorite food – Ice cream. All the ice cream.
- What is your favorite TV Show – I love TV and am hard-pressed to pick a fave but will drop everything at the first strains of the “Golden Girls” theme. (I’m a Sophia.) If you enjoy 80s rides and haven’t seen “GLOW,” get your ass on Netflix now. Finally, if anyone from Amazon’s production team is listening, I’d love to give the star of “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” a cameo on a flashback epi of “Transparent” – she’d be long-lost cousin Miriam Pfefferman!
- Have you ever ridden in studio – Yes, with JSS, Denis, Ally, and Christine. My favorite Mothership experience to date was Bullshit Milestone Sunday. If I do nothing else constructive with my life, I invented a legit(ish) holiday!
- Who would you like to ride with – 1) My fellow Milestone Maniacs: #YBBlue, #Buffinda34, #GooniesNvrSayDi, and #SpinningKally. 2) I’m not-so-secretly obsessed with #BamaGuy’s habits and cordially invite him to join me under the disco ball. 3) I’ve been fortunate to ride with a bunch of you in the studio and Bethesda, MD showroom. You’re too numerous to name but all great company!
- Guilty Pleasure – A few years ago, my mom downsized, so I had to get my junk out of her house. I discovered an enormous trove of old letters from my lovelorn teen years. They’re alternately poignant, disgusting, mortifying, hilarious, and faintly scented with perm solution. I read them at random when I need a pick-me-up.
- Favorite Curse word – I mean, “fuck” is a classic, right? It’s so versatile: you can use it as an intensifier (“JFDI”), to refer to actual sex, to express anger (“fuck you”), confusion (“WTF”), disgust (“fucked up”), frustration (“fuck me”), desire (ibid.). It’s the Swiss Army Knife of profanity.
When my daughter was in kindergarten, she confessed that she had learned “the F word.” She wouldn’t tell me what the word was but eventually agreed to spell it. To my chagrin, she left out the C. I’m a former citywide spelling champ, bee-topped trophy and all. No child of mine misspells “fuck”!
- Favorite musician – Anyone on any 70s or 80s playlist floats my boat.
- Morning or night – Morning. I’m sure whatever happens at night is delightful, but I don’t care to find out.
- Last Book You Read – 1) Homegoing. Run, don’t walk, to read this searing multigenerational saga of the impact of slavery on one family. (It’s not a beach read, but there are uplifting moments.) 2) Dietland, recently made into a so-so TV show, is a viciously insightful satire of embodiment, anger, self-discovery, and the absurdity of lipstick.
- Who’s the Last Person who texted you – My mom, who still hasn’t figured out that she doesn’t need to sign texts. Oy.
- Favorite App – Facebook is a terrible habit for the nosy and distractible.
- Favorite Sport – Does spelling count? (See above.)
- Favorite Sports Team – I’m not a big athletic supporter, as they say. I’m on the board of my daughter’s school, so…go, Milton Pandas!
- Fave Alcoholic Beverage – I’m more of an eater than a drinker, but a little something sparkling is always nice.
- What Color is your toothbrush – Off-white. (Sonicare.)
- Do you have a favorite cartoon character – She’s not (usually) a cartoon, but Miss Piggy represents a certain ideal of confidence and panache to moi.
- Coffee or tea – Coffee before noon, tea anytime.
- What time do you go to bed – Ideally 10.
- Fave Reality TV show – “American Ninja Warrior” and “Kids Baking Championship”
- What is something we’d be surprised to know about you? I grew up partly in Toronto. I’m very loud for a Canadian. Still hoping JSS will do a Canadian Rock Ride to welcome our Tribemates from the Great White North.
- Dinner guest – You’re all invited. I’m an avid baker, so save room for dessert.
- Marry/F/Kill-Robin Arzon, Jenn Sherman or JJ OR Matt Wilpers, Alex T. or Denis
- F: Robin. I get the occasional urge to take her class, we spend a memorable hour together, and then I fade away without cuddling or calling. We’re at it again a few weeks later, no strings attached.
- M: Denis and I are already married. Don’t tell my husband. Also, don’t tell Denis. He thinks we’re just friends.
- K: Can you kill someone with kindness and friendship? If so, there’s a special place in my heart for our beloved Jenn.
Anything else you’d like to share? I’m always happy to share and overshare. (You’ve read my bra reviews, right?) Ask me anything below, and thanks for being a part of this extraordinary community.